Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
September 20, 2014, 03:58:33 PM   

+  orsaidpa.com
|-+  Action Pistol
|-+  General Discussion
|-+  IDPA vs IPSC
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Why shoot IDPA and not USPSA
Can't run and gun - 3 (27.3%)
Lower round count - 0 (0%)
Don't have to setup stages - 0 (0%)
I shoot both - 6 (54.5%)
Equipment - 0 (0%)
USPSA not "real life"for me - 1 (9.1%)
Don't want to shoot against race guns - 1 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print

Author Topic: IDPA vs IPSC  (Read 7679 times)
DaG

View Profile Email
IDPA vs IPSC
« on: November 30, 2008, 06:39:16 PM »

I was just wondering why IDPA has such a great turnout every month vs the IPSC matches seem to be getting smaller and smaller.  Why do you prefer IDPA over IPSC. I'm not trying to start a war here just trying to understand what makes this game more appealing to shooters in this area. Vote and discuss.  TIA

DaG
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:43:51 PM by DaG » Logged

Speed is a tactic, and a pretty damn good one........
Mike M
Administrator

View Profile Email
Re: IDPA vs IPSC
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:59:58 AM »

I tried to vote for two things, it only let me vote for one. The two I wanted vote for were "can shoot and scoot" and "not like real life".
    When I first got it to hand guns I started looking for some way to use it other than shooting bottles and cans etc. in the woods. I then heard about USPSA and went and tried it. The group that I shot with was not happy that I was shooting limited 10 ? Anyway the second and third time I went to shoot with them they got over that issue. It was way better than shooting cans! I guess the thing I disliked the most was the option on how to shoot the stage, the most experianced people would always shoot it last after watching the others stumble through the stage. The big thing was not to talk about how to shoot the stage .45 was going to out shoot a .38 super with 28 round mag. Then I heard about IDPA. The COF was explained before we shot the stage and I did not need track shoes to make my way down range. IDPA also seemed to me that it was a good way to pratice self defence with a hand gun. Yes it is a game, and any time you keep score it is a game. I have a few more coments, they are best kept to myself.
BigJ

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »

I selected " I shoot both " I shoot USPSA/IPSC because there is no better way to get proficent with a handgun. No bullshit rules to think about like am I using cover, engaging in the right order, or what kind of reload can I do? Nothing to think about but shooting the stage the best way I see to shoot it, not how some Tacticool Ted thinks it should be shot. I shoot IDPA because.............................. Oh yeah STI contingency money for winning.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »

I also shoot both,IDPA just because it is pulling the trigger at a target.I much more prefer USPSA/IPSC because of the idea of freestyle. You decide which is the way for you to shoot the stage,not dictated on how to shoot it.I don't have to worry about staying behind cover,keeping a mag with rounds in it.( in the real world you would run the sucker dry,been there done it).
I think USPSA has lost ground in the last few years in this area not enough people want to put forth the effort it takes to put on a good match. Think about the people we have had in the past that put in the effort and the good matches we had.We need to get back to that point again if we want the USPSA club to stay around. REMEMBER it is a VOLUNTEER sport we all need to participate and make it grow.
Mike M
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 04:37:59 PM »

DaG

Well now we know what the three of us like to shoot the most. But no comments on why USPSA has less intrest than in the past. How you guys that shoot it , what do you think ? How can it bring more shooters?

Mike
taliv

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »

I'm not overly attached to either organization.  I like freestyle and don't care for mag retention or shooting from cover rules.  I might get whiny every so often about that, but it wouldn't stop me from participating.

I shoot IDPA lately because a friend of mine likes it and wants me to go with him.  I've no idea why he prefers it.

believe it or not, I don't own enough pistol mags to make it through some IPSC COFs so IDPA is an advantage there.  (heh, and I ran out of ammo on two of the TfT stages! doh!)  (I usually only bring two 8-rnd and one 7-rnd mags to the show and that doesn't go far when you can't hit anything)

but I'm just having fun and don't care about scores where pistols are concerned.

even so, i'd rather shoot IPSC than IDPA, if there aren't any rifle matches going on Smiley
I haven't shot IPSC at ORSA because I'm usually shooting rifle matches. 
DaG

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »

Wow!  Alot of views from this topic, but no one is voting or posting.  Top I think you're right about the volunteer part.  Maybe that's one the reasons that IDPA is so much more appealing.  Show up, shoot, leave.......
DaG

levity

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 12:58:59 PM »

I think it is very telling to simply look at who is responding to this question, and who is more active on this forum.  Virtually the only people active on this forum are IPSC shooters (with the main exception being Mike).  Could it be that these IPSC shooters (the core group of the ORSA IPSC shooters) are more enthusiastic and passionate about shooting than the average IDPA shooter?  Consequently they will shoot in any competitive event (IPSC or IDPA) they can find, whereas the average IDPA shooter does not want the perceived stress and strain of an IPSC match.  Sort of the difference between the low-handicap golfer who eats and sleeps golf and who is always looking for a game (and a better driver/putter/wedge) versus the Sunday golfer simply out to enjoy the sunshine, but is not consumed by the game.  While this analysis may suggest a higher skill level of the average IPSC shooter (yes-I know there are very good IDPA shooters), it could also be construed to suggest a certain depravity and obsessiveness of the higher level IPSC shooter (and golfer).
DaG

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 02:34:19 PM »

Well said Levity.  MikeM, the poll says it was locked by an administator.  WTF?
DaG

3 Gun Wolf

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 07:29:16 AM »

Currently I shoot IDPA but have shot both in the past. I ran the Pistol Section in Los Alamos, NM and when I took it over there wasn't anything but IPSC ( the previous section chair had stepped down and IDPA died). So when I took over I brought it back and thus spent most of my trigger time on IDPA. Later on I did shoot several IPSC matches and liked the higher round count and the freestyle nature of it, but I liked the tactical aspect of IDPA IE use of cover, etc. I haven't made it to an IPSC, or steel challenge match at ORSA yet but plan on it in the near future. Several of the IDPA shooters in NM didn't like IPSC due to the high round count, but they also were novice shooters and were intimidated by the top shooters in IPSC, they felt more comfortable with the casual nature of the IDPA matches and I think some people here have the same attitude.

Stay safe and practice with what you carry
levity

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 09:59:33 AM »

Lonewolf- I look forward to you shooting one of the IPSC matches and getting your feedback.  I always thought the IPSC matches at ORSA were also very casual, as are the IDPA matches.  However, the IPSC matches do have fewer shooters who typically all know each other and are pretty competitive. I wonder if that makes it seem less friendly to new shooters.   

I suggest next year that we have some type of award for the shooter who brings in the most new shooters.  We could come up with some type of point system for first time shooters and repeat shooters, and then give some prize out in the fall. 
3 Gun Wolf

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »

I think that was the issue in NM. there was a small core group of shooters in IPSC and they traveled together to regional matches, etc. A couple of them came to shoot IDPA but that was after I took over the Pistol Section and got all the groups that used the pistol bays (IDPA, ISPC and SASS) working together to better the facility. We even got a few more of the SASS guys to come out and shoot IDPA, and a few more of the IDPA shooters started shooting SASS and IPSC. Some of the issues are created by mis-imaging (if that is even a word) of "classes". It's one group of shooters profiling the other. IDPA shooters looking at IPSC shooters as hot shots and IPSC shooters looking at IDPA shooters as Novice shooters. I think that if the Production Class was promoted to IDPA shooters more, you would have more show up. I know that in Los Alamos most people thought that you had to have an open class or Race Gun to shoot IPSC. I promoted IDPA as great practice for those that had recently gotten their CCW, because that fell in line with the state requirements for a CCW. Promoting a shooting sport in a way that apeals to the masses is a great way to increase the number of shooters. I know that I cannot evenly compete with a shooter that practices daily, but I can compete against myself based on the round count and difficulty of the stages as compared to the previous shoot. And that will build attendance.. Don't promote the image- Promote the sport. It's trigger time no matter what you shoot.  Encourage people to come out and watch a match and let them see the joking around between the shooters. We never took shooting at a club level too seriously, some members that shot nationally against each other were a bit more serious amongst themselves.

We harassed each other for mistakes but it was done jokingly and evenly spread, but we also offered help too. And I know that this is done at ORSA. And just watching a better shooter is great training. Jason Edwards has helped me more than he will ever know just by me being able to watch him shoot IDPA.

I looked at the scores from the December IDPA Match, and I personally thought I shot like crap. But that is me, I know what I did wrong and where I did it. I only compare my shooting against myself.

Participation in any sport generates competition among participants, its when the competition causes participants to leave that causes the sport to die. We have the ability to break into groups and seperate shooters.

I think that IDPA shooters would love the higher round count and the ability to go in and air gun a stage to prepare for it. IPSC and IDPA are 2 different animals and need to be promoted as such, and the promotion of the production class might help IPSC at ORSA.

At this time, until I can find more bullets for my 10mm, I would be shooting IPSC with a gun that I haven't shot in about 3 years, but I will do it if it means trigger time.

Stay safe and practice with what you carry
Mike M
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 06:45:16 PM »

DaG

Is the voting lock now or unlocked ?  I seen it said locked so I unlocked it. I thought that was why there was no more voting. Also I looked at the Kettlefoot website at the USPSA results and they are only having about 20 shooters max. Some one said that perhaps the reason for the lack of shooters was because of lack of volunteers. The IDPA club only has a few that help regularly. Now the Cowboys have a lot that help there club. You as a USPSA shooter and enjoying your favorite shooting sport, must not be able to see or understand the decline in your club, as for your post. I was like you eager to see the responds.  My suggestion is to put together a video and rent a table at the gun shows. Get me the cost of table rental a.s.a.p and I will put it your club budget.

MM
DaG

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »

I had posted on another forum about the decline of USPSA @ ORSA.  One of the posters who used to shoot @ ORSA and Guncraft years ago said that if you were an "out of towner" they were not warmed up to quickly.  On the other hand, he said that NTPS in Dickson would go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.  Do any of you feel like you have been "shunned" as a new shooter?
DaG

Mike M
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 08:27:56 AM »

Undecided The one and only USPSA match that I shot at ORSA, I was picked on and harassed the whole time !! Something about a Thomson is not a open gun Huh

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

« previous next »

Jump to:  

MySQL | PHP  |   Powered by SMF 1.1.4 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC   |  XHTML | CSS