Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
August 20, 2014, 12:48:27 AM   

+  orsaidpa.com
|-+  Action Pistol
|-+  General Discussion
|-+  Double Standard with the ORSA Board
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print

Author Topic: Double Standard with the ORSA Board  (Read 1368 times)
featherdancer

View Profile Email
Double Standard with the ORSA Board
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:04:03 PM »

I think all ORSA members should be made aware of what our Board seems to be up to. .....
  Submitted by Marie Kobylarz of the ORSA Cowboys (aka Feather Dancer of SASS)

The following quote comes from Gary Arrants of the Cowboy Group.

"All ORSA members should be aware of the apparent Double Standard our Board of Officers seem to exhibit.  The weekend of April 7th-10th the Smoky Mountain Shootist Society and the ORSA Cowboys hosted a 3 day national Cowboy Action Shooting match. We had around 130 shooters from 13 States participate. To hold this event at the Action Pistol Range ORSA charged SMSS $2500. Five weeks later there was another match held at the AP range, this one hosted by Caracal Guns. They used the same range the cowboys did however there was no charge for Caracal to use the range.  As a member of ORSA for 5 years, Ramrod of SMSS for 7 years and an active member of the ORSA Cowboys, I have to wonder why one club was required to pay to use the range for their match and the other club had no monetary obligation what so ever? We would like to see the ORSA Board address this issue and make a standard policy on hosting matches. We have a premier facility, SMSS puts on a professional match with vendors, sponsors, and plenty of press to give ORSA exposure that they would not have otherwise. So what is the deal with the double standards and why does the board seem to have so much heartburn with the Cowboys?"

keystone

View Profile
Re: Double Standard with the ORSA Board
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:20:14 PM »

Well,

These are the facts as I know them:

SMSS & the ORSA Cowboys asked the ORSA Board to consider having the 2011 SMSO. After discussion it was determined that there was no policy for renting the range. However, SMSS & the ORSA Board agreed to use of the AP Range (3 days @ $500.00) and the Long Range (1 day @ $500.00) plus $500.00 for incidentals. In return, ORSA would pay for gravel if need, extra port-a-potties and extra trash pic-up if needed. I think SMSS offered the amount of $2500.00 and the ORSA board accepted. After the vote it was decided that a committee should be fromed to set policy for renting the ranges at ORSA.  The AP Club Board also voted to support the continuation of the Shootout.

The Smoky Mountain Shootout,SMSO, is "intelectual property" of SMSS. All fees, sponsorship moneys and proceeds from the SMSO were paid to SMSS as a for profit event on ORSA property.

The Smoky Mountain Championship match sponsored by Carcal USA was an AP CLub match with all fees being paid to ORSA and prizes being supplied by Carcal USA.

What we have is SMSS having a for profit match on ORSA property and AP Club event having a sponsor for their match. Similar circumstances but not the same.

I mean no disrepect to anyone but this is my recollection.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Mike M
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »

The bottom line is this, Caracal had NO ! income from this match. But they did give away $10,000.00 in guns and cash prizes. The entery fee of $25.00 goes to ORSA. This match was put on by the ORSA Action Club on the Saturday that USPSA would have their match. Just like Toys for Tots is on the IDPA Saturday.  Yes ! come to the ORSA and AP meetings and you will know what is being planned and any issues can be address before someone makes statements that are not true
BigJ

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:09:40 PM »

ORSA made $25.00 per shooter off of the caracal match X 158 shooters = $3950.00. The cowboy match had 130 shooters for $2500.00 which is $19.23 per shooter. I agree there is a double standard, the cowboys should be charged more.
levity

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:44:50 AM »

As the Match Director, I appreciate Keystone's accurate assessment of our match.  It was an ORSA match.  ORSA members ran the match, designed the stages and all the match fees went into ORSA's coffers.  It was a great opportunity to show off our facility to over 150 shooters from 12 states and 1 foreign country. With Caracal supplying all the guns and ammo, it was also a great opportunity for new shooters to try their hand at action pistol competition.  Beyond the guns and$ 4000 worth of ammo, Caracal also provided over $10000 of cash and guns.  Yes, CaracalUSA got great exposure, over 150 shooters had a great experience shooting their guns, but ORSA and the sport profited greatly.  While I like the Caracal, I will be fair and unbiased and will put on a similar match for Sig, HK, or Smith&Wesson if they come knocking.
Tombstone

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »

It is a shame they do not make Single action revolvers, we would welcome anyone giving away that kind of guns
jvc2

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 06:33:59 AM »

Its a shame the cowboys wont allow double-action revolvers in their matches, because I would shoot in them, if they did. I really enjoy the IDPA, USPSA, & Steel Challenge, and am sure I would enjoy the cowboys matches too. I really enjoyed participating in the Caracal match.

I think the differences in the matches was explained clearly, and that should clear up the matter.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

« previous next »

Jump to:  

MySQL | PHP  |   Powered by SMF 1.1.4 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC   |  XHTML | CSS