Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
April 23, 2014, 10:07:30 AM   

+  orsaidpa.com
|-+  Action Pistol
|-+  General Discussion
|-+  AP Range - Authorized Users
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print

Author Topic: AP Range - Authorized Users  (Read 1233 times)
Zoomer

View Profile
AP Range - Authorized Users
« on: April 01, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »

At the March Action Pistol Club meeting there was an extended discussion of the "plinking" problem on the AP range as well as other unapproved activities and possible safety concerns at non-match times.  As a part of this discussion a proposal was submitted that would identify those authorized to use the range for practice.

Initially the range was intended to be used for matches only.  As time went on it was understood that the range could be used by ORSA Action Pistol Club members (defined as ORSA members who participate in Action Pistol matches).  Unfortunately, the range is now used by some as an overflow facility for the plinking range and even the bench rest range.  This has resulted in range littering, unsafe activities, and damage to match props.  It is assumed that those involved in these activities are not AP match participants.

The proposal made at the meeting was to issue to any ORSA member who participates in at least one Action Pistol match in a year a sticker that would be affixed to the back of their ORSA membership/gate card.  This sticker would be good for the calendar year and serve to prove that the member is authorized to use the range for practice.  A sign would be posted at the entrance to the range indicating that the range is for authorized users only who have the sticker on their card.

When the sticker is given to the ORSA AP Club member it will be accompanied with a printed copy of the Range Rules and Regulations for the use of the range as well as a description of approved targets for practice.  By affixing the sticker to his/her card the member is agreeing to the rules and regulations.

Those who are shooting on the range at non-match times may be asked to produce their card with sticker.  Anyone without a sticker will be respectfully asked to leave the range and invited to participate in a future AP match and obtain a sticker.  Those with stickers who are violating the range rules may lose their authorization to practice on the AP range.

If you have comments regarding this proposal, please make them known to any Match Director or any AP Club officer (Mike Madden, Mark Levy, Eric Larson, or Leonard Bailey).  This proposal will be on the agenda for the next AP Club meeting
DaG

View Profile Email
Re: AP Range - Authorized Users
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:33:37 PM »

This has been said so many times but why don't you guys just pull the card reader info? Technology is your friend!  Pull the info for the times that the egrigious offense occured and send a mass email to all members who carded in thru the gate during the time frame.  Notify said members that they have 7 days to respond or membership priveliges will be suspended pending response.   It seems like it would be alot more time and effort to go thru the listings of all ORSA members and then determine who participates in AP events.  And then how many events does it take to qualify for a sticker? And if you get a sticker, do you also get a key to the sheds so you can shoot at approved targets? If no, why not?  If you think back 5-6 years ago, we had poppers under the old shed and at least 2 plate racks that anyone could show up and shoot at.  I never heard of plinking problems then.  Next thing ya know alot of poppers were given away and the plate rack was moved and then it disappeared/was given away.  Guess what.....problems started.  Approved targets were no longer availible for the members.  To my knowledge, only AP club officers have keys to the sheds which contain the approved targets.  We used to leave out used IPSC targets for practice and for some reason they got locked up.  I joined ORSA 10 yrs ago because of USPSA and the ability to come out and practice. We had ample amounts of steel and paper and now we have nothing. Bring back the poppers and plate rack.  Leave out the used IPSC targets and a few target stands.  Do this and you will see that your "problems" will start  to go away.  As far as unsafe activities, maybe you should hang out at an IDPA match around new shooters.  That's scary as hell!!  If we can't come out and use the AP range, what's the benefit to being a member anymore.....Huh?

Speed is a tactic, and a pretty damn good one........
Zoomer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:18:45 PM »

DaG,
Thanks for your input.  Your ideas regarding the availability of “approved” targets to shoot are being and have been discussed in addition to the access/sticker discussion.  The used USPSA and IDPA targets may be a reasonable step, and there are the “H” stands and target sticks that are under the prop shed and available for everyday use.  However, please note that no other ORSA range provides free targets for shooters to practice (skeet/trap, indoor, bench rest, plinking, and competition).  Shooters are expected to shoot appropriate targets on those ranges which the individual shooter provides or purchases from the club.  It is not likely that someone would set up IPSC targets or milk jugs on the skeet field and blast away or attempt to sight in a high-power rifle in the indoor range.  The indoor range is only open during times of supervision to assure proper activities.  Since most of the ORSA ranges are not as isolated as the AP range such inappropriate things are much less likely to occur as they would be quickly observed and corrected.

The return of a plate rack, budget permitting, and perhaps some poppers available for practice is a suggestion that deserves serious discussion. 
The removal of the old plate rack was a complex situation that was well intentioned but in hindsight may not have turned out as intended.

The ORSA membership has grown to 2000 members often overtaxing the capacity of the plinking and bench rest ranges resulting in inappropriate overflow and activities on the AP range.  Comparing things to how they were five, ten, or thirty years ago is comparing apples and oranges.

As far as the gate “technology” is concerned it is not as simple as it first seems.  Many of those who have been observed “plinking” on the AP range have entered through the front gate rather than the east gate.  They have often said that they were intending to use the plinking range or the bench rest ranges which were full at the time.  Giving them the benefit of the doubt, they didn’t know any better.  Therefore, to use the gate data you would have to use the data for both gates casting a wide net that would include skeet and trap shooters, bench rest shooters, indoor shooters etc. and asking them to explain their actions at the club which would be unproductive at best.  You would also have to have a pretty good idea of the time “plinking” was occurring which is almost impossible.  Actually, using the gate data method has been tried a couple of times and it was ineffective – “I didn’t go to the AP range”, “I shot proper targets”, “No response”,  etc.  In addition, the email database is not complete or reliable.

By the way, if you haven’t visited the Plinking range lately, you should.  It often looks more like a landfill than a shooting range.  It would be truly unfortunate to have all that litter on the AP range.

The sticker idea was proposed in an effort to improve the current situation.  Certainly it wouldn’t solve all of the problems but it could help to assure that those authorized to use the AP range could not use the excuse that they didn’t know any better since they would be given the rules and regulations with the sticker.  Those found on the range without a sticker would have an easy pathway to be authorized and informed.  The sign at the AP range entrance requiring a sticker would be easily understood.  Stickers would be given to every ORSA member who is an AP shooter when they register for their first match each year (i.e. one match and you get a sticker for the year).  The more the merrier as long as the rules and regulations are followed.

The sticker idea is only a proposal at this time and far from being a done deal.  The comments and suggestions such as those you have provided are appreciated and will be helpful.
jvc2

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »

Grin
Action Pistol Range Use
     By Joddy Collins

As some of you know, I’ve just started shooting action pistol for about 3 months now.
I’ve attended one AP board meeting and asked questions about action pistol range use.
My understanding is there are 3 issues, vandalism-shooting signs and buildings, unsafe acts, and emptying the trash cans.

Vandalism - I believe anyone caught intentionally vandalizing any ORSA property should have their ORSA membership terminated as stated in ORSA Bylaw Article IV Section 5. That includes shooting building & signs, breaking glass, & any other kind of vandalism. Any ORSA member that catches a vandal, should confront him, get his name, car license, etc., and bring the matter up at the next board meeting to expel the vandal. If you don’t have the guts the confront someone, then you don’t need to be an RO. ROs shouldn’t be bullies either.

Unsafe Acts - Accidents happen and we have DQs in competitions - that’s different from vandalism, and why we need and have range officers. Every experienced RO has stopped a newbie from swinging his gun around “sweeping people” when he was excited from hitting the target. Some experienced shooters like me have a hard time breaking lifetime habits, like pointing my pistol muzzle up when reloading, and our ROs are great with their “finger” & “muzzle” warnings. I was taught “up & down” were safe muzzle directions. Hopefully, someday I’ll get the hang of these competitions.

Range officers also have to police the range for intentional unsafe acts, like shooting up in the air. Intentional unsafe acts should be confronted and the member warned. Repeat offenders should have their ORSA membership terminated as stated in ORSA Bylaw Article IV Section 5.

Plinking and trash removal – Every Friday when we set up for the Saturday competition, we can empty the trash cans.

I don’t have sympathy for AP ROs bitching about emptying the trash and cleaning up the AP range, because the SKEET ROs clean up the skeet ranges, keep the clay-target houses full, clean up the club house keeping the toilets flushed, coffee maker, fridge, & kitchen cleaned up, and empty the trash cans in the clubhouse and on the ranges.

The Indoor range ROs have to sweep up the brass, clean up the range, flush the toilets, turn off everything, and empty the trash before they shut down. I’m an RO at both ranges; my view is that AP ROs have it easy.

Conclusion, Action Pistol Range Use – ORSA’s purpose as stated in its Bylaws, Chapter of Incorporation is to encourage and promote hunting, shooting, and pistol and rifle practice.

Many members were told they could shoot their targets at the AP range at ORSA orientation and by ROs. I joined ORSA in 2005 to have a place to shoot my guns. When I was in orientation in 2005, I asked about where to practice with my own targets and stands, and the speaker told me they would always use the action pistol range, reasoning the bays were closed in by dirt and safe.

AP does and should continue to provide target stands for people that practice there. The ROs are really good with educating shooters about the practice target stands.
I think the AP range would best serve ORSA by allowing practice with shooters’ personal targets, and “plinking” as long as the shooters clean up the range and put their trash in the garbage cans when they’re finished practicing. I don't want the AP bays trashed up either.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

« previous next »

Jump to:  

MySQL | PHP  |   Powered by SMF 1.1.4 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC   |  XHTML | CSS